Tuesday, 2 February 2010

a Mcpost

Remember Morgan Spurlock? He's the writer and director of "Super Size Me", the documentary that follows him over 30 days of Mac-diet only. 
The film was obviously and proudly exaggerated, I mean, who in his right mind would choose to feed himself for 30 days, 3 times a day of Mac food only? 
I don't like Mac, nor the other fast food chain. Last time I ate in one of them was 2003: I was in Suzhou and, after 6 months of chinese food at the uni canteen and boiled rice at the dorm, my body needed Western food; the only option available was a KFC and I had no other choice.
I'm not one of those extremist that destroys the windows, I do admit that they hold an important social role: if they closed, where would I go when I need to use the loo?
This doesn't mean I don't enjoy junk food, but then if it's got to be a burger, better the one you get in the pubs, and if I'm luck there's a nice place around where I can get falafel topped with deep-fried aubergines or fish & chips with a generous serving of vinegar and salt.
Both options are not so easy to find in Turin (a reason more to go back to chez Hannah at Marais and the Pavillion Cafè in Troon), but hey, I don't need to despair!
There's a new way to hurt my coronaries now, a new Mac in Town: McItaly, a 100% Italian burger, which received the approval and was launched by the minister of agriculture, Luca Zaia.
Now before wishing Mr. Zaia a lifetime eating always and only McItaly burgers, but not like the nice one he was given at the p.r. launch, no, no: a lifetime of those greasy, stinky, floppy burgers you see coming out of fast food chains at every hour), let me get some points straight:
  1. Unlike common belief, Americans did not invented the pizza. Italians did. But Americans did invent the burger. There is no such thing as an Italian burger. Let's call it a nasty sandwich and be happy with it, shall we?
  2. If you want to "give an imprint of Italian flavours to our youngsters", then try with rucola and bresaola, mozzarella and tomato. Where in Italy there's something like mixing lettuce with Asiago cheese and then topping it off with an artichoke cream spread? And wait, does it mean, at least, we got rid of the gerking??? Pleeeease!
  3. Above all, since when the Italian governement, represented by a minister, go on a promotional event for an American multinational, claiming then that this will help the Italian agricultural system? 
  4. If any of you read the post about it on the Guardian, you might have seen the reply signed by Mr. Zaia (looks like it was written by some communication expert): apparently he needed to make a point in stating that Stalin is dead. It may look like the usual fixation the Italian government has of seeing communist everywhere, but it's not. Given all the cutbacks in the education budget, we need somebody to teach a bit of history to Italian students.
(point 4 was not a joke, but a sad observation of reality)

No comments:

Post a Comment