Friday, 2 April 2010

oh no, is it Easter time again?


Oh yes, it's Easter time again.

What does it mean to me? Not a lot, to be honest.
Coming from a non Catholic family, as a child it was just a long week-end off from school, receiving (and eating) egg chocolate from my grandparents and as a teenager having a barbeque with some friends in the mountains on Easter Monday, most of the time wondering why on earth I agreed on it, as weather has always been miserable on Easter Monday.

Growing up, Easter didn't change a lot to my eyes: Easter Monday is a Bank Holiday; very much welcomed as one day off from work can be, yet not felt in the same way as other days (such as the April, the 25th or May, the 1st), where I do take the time to think on the reason why we celebrate.

Being in a Catholic country, moreover, you can't escape being surrounded about celebrations: some of them sincere, most of them quite hypocritical to my eyes.
I've always felt a sharp contrast in many fellow Italians, so eager to declare themselves Catholic, to go to church any given Sunday, but so quick and ready to judge and condemn.
The annoyance caused by Italians' self-rightneoussness becomes even more irritating when  Easter (or Christmas) arrives.
The annoyance is particularly strong this Easter, up to the point that it's becoming very hard for me to keep my cool, and avoid losing my temper (losing my religion, I'd say).

The past week has been quite hard for me; how I wished to sleep it all and let delusions and problems drift away! But no, I couldn't and, to top it all, I had to endure politicians claiming to be above the law, up to the point of becoming the final judges on delicate and personal matters such as abortions.

Men politicians, of course! Politicians that proclaims themselves Catholic, pro-family, pro-life, pro-whatever-as-long-as-it-gets-them-votes, that thinks and treat women like walking incubators; such good preacher when telling people how to live, but quite lacking on putting into actions the same words themselves.

The saddest point is they're not the worse that this country has to endure.
(And no, the worse is not even having to deal with a Vatican that should mind its own business and run a conscience check up on its own wrong doings, instead of trying to teach us what it's right and what it's wrong. Even though, it's quite bad)

No, the worse is that these people get to be where they are because they get votes, they are voted by the same people I meet on the way to work, waiting at the hospital, looking at the prices at the market. The same people that keeps complaining and asks me why I don't celebrate Easter.

That's perhaps the main reason why I don't like Easter: it's one of the moment I feel so sharply and painfully the sad notions that politicians and general conditions of life Italy has are just what us, Italians, deserve. It's such a depressing thought that chokes (almost) any hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment