Friday, 9 July 2010

The green and the black

According to Berlusconi, the country I just left is perfect. Italy has left the economic crisis behind, people are all rich enough to go on holiday  and have fun, the only problem is that we're full of evil journalists and communist judges that are persecuting him and his party.

Sometimes I wonder if the country I just left is Italy Italy and not North Korea. Then I reassure myself: TV broadcasted live Italy being kicked out of the World Cup and we don't have Berlusconi's statues in the main squares... yet.

More than one year ago the province of L'Aquila was hit by a devastating earthquake. Now it seems everything is OK. The houses have been rebuilt, L'Aquila people are all glad and merry, because now they got nice modern houses: it must be so, because I clearly remember seeing Berlusconi boasting about it on TV.


Guess what? It's not true.
They are not that happy at all and the overall situation of the reconstruction of the destroyed towns is slighlty different from what the government states. Few months ago there were a lot of polemics coming from representatives of the Italian governement because of Cannes Film Festival inviting Sabina Guzzanti's movie, "Draquila".
Not all the main news, but still some of them, had reports from L'Aquila when its citizens started cleaning the rubble out the city center (a forbidden zone which is controlled by military check-points)., where it's been left in abandon by the reconstruction teams. 
Another problem people had to face was dealing with the taxes: they had a 1-year freeze and were supposed to repay them in 5 years, which would have meant bankrupt for many people, as there has been no economic recovery (well, no shit sherlock, since most of the infrastructure is gone).
So, in these days when the Parliament is discussing and voting for the economic measures to beat the crisis (that anyway is over) L'Aquila people decided to go to Rome, protest and show up at Berlusconi's doorstep: to ask for help and answers.
There have been some clashes with the police.
According to media, the government blamed some violent instigators that had hidden between the protesters and said that there were only few lightly injured.

I could have read the news and let it go by, just as I do for many others news every day. I could if it were not for the fact that I've been reading a blog for some month: Miss Kappa is Anna's blog. She's been blogging for some years before everything changed for her and consequently her blog after the earthquake of L'Aquila.
If I want to know what's going on there, it's more likely I refer to her blog than to any media. Why? Because she lives there. She might not be partial, but why should she be? She doesn't live in a fancy apartment in Rome, she lives with the consequences of the earthquake everyday.

Yesterday my RSS feader showed me I had a new post to read from Miss Kappa. So I read it.
Reading it, watching the video with the mayors in front of the protest and the police pushing them made me feel... oh hell I don't know how I felt!  In the blog Anna says that the colours of the flags they brought with them symbolize hope (the green) and grieve (the black).
Perhaps I feel a bit like that: I hope that L'Aquila people will be allowed to rebuild their homes and lives, without politicians interfering and using them as walk-on part of PR events. I grieve for the loss, the way thing are going and they seem there's no way to change them.

Italy's not on a good shape in any aspect of life: economy, politics, culture and society have all taken a pretty bad turn and the all post-earthquake situation is a kind of mirror to it. Yet, despite all the gloomy and upset feelings, there is a tiny part that still hopes for a better future in Italy, and to be part of it, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment