Monday, 23 August 2010

Bible explained

I've been reading a lot of articles recently about the "Ground Zero Mosque" (in reality a community center with also a mosque inside) and the doubts a larger and larger part of Americans have about their president's religion.
It's part of some interest I've had been developing in trying to understand U.S.A. society and politics. I'm not doing very well at the moment, because I miss several links between facts, places and people and my knowledge of U.S.A. history is still somehow foggy.

There are many points of view I could look at this problem, but perhaps I'm still too ignorant about U.S. to grasp everything. Today however I stumbled on an article by Roger Ebert; it's quite mind-opening, and also refreshing: when I start to really think that bigotry had really taken over there, here comes a very fresh no-nonsense analysis of what's happening, from a point of view that sounds more reasonable and not the standard Fox-News bigotry.

What interests me the most of the whole issue is not the polemics fueled by the republicans, the debate whether it was a sensible thing to plan close to Ground Zero... there's a stripper club on the corner too, and I find that more disrespectful to the memories of the victims; but perhaps strippers are not bothering the religious thoughts and personal feelings of some of the protesters.

On the other hand, I find the use and misuse of religion a much more fascinating subject on the other hand.

For the first time, after hearing about it in so many movies, I went on to search the text of the First Amendment. Law is not something so set in stone as we'd like to believe and interpretation is a very important part of its practice. I think I will read and try my best to understand some essays and work about it I have found online.

Still, it seems that religious freedom remains quite a uncertain field to step into: in an utopic perfect world, we'd be able to discuss and debate the subject quite freely.
But century of history dictating our behaviour and opinions mixed with politically correct idiocy makes it an unreachable condition.
I have the feeling that the message that come across is "all religions are the same, some more than others and ours is the best one anyway". 
The exploitation of religious belief in order to suit somebody's own political agenda is sometimes painfully obvious. 
In everyday simple life, I've witnessed way too many time how religion is used by people to feel superior and try to belittle people. I lost the count of how many times people tried to make me and my sister feel inferior because we were not catholics, or how some people would preach on me, on the simple belief that their belonging to a Church made them ethically or morally better.

I was trying to find a way to express how much I found hypocritical all of these, when I stumbled across this definition, taken from the Twitter page of the almightygod:


No comments:

Post a Comment