Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Philosophy is everywhere

As I attended the commercial high school, I've never studied philosophy, thus my knowledge of philosophers was limited to those that fell in the definition of economists too, people like Smith and Marx.


It's not that I wasn't interested in it, but back in those year I felt as if a huge barrier was blocking me from digging into the subject, even though I felt pulled towards it at the same time. 
For years I skirted around it, for some weird stupid reason afraid to dive into it.





In "Comme un roman" Daniel Pennac says that many kids don't read the classics because they're afraid of not understanding:  they see a huge hardback book and think that what's inside is beyond their abilities. But they just need to give it a try, let go of their fear to discover that they can feel and understand the meaning of those novels.

Something like that happened to me some weeks ago with philosophy. I read "Sophie's world" by Jostein Gaarder. As the front cover states, it's a novel about the history of philosophy. Western philosophy, at least.
The huge iceberg that philosophy was for me started melting down right in front of my eyes as I went on and on reading.
It was exhilarating to discover that hey! Plato is not so unaccessible as I feared. Spinoza is not only a serious Italian blog. And Kierkegaard is not so difficult, but spelling his surname is.


As one of the characters states in the book, "the only thing we require to be good philosophers is the faculty of wonder". So in a way, every time I loose myself in questions about life, its purpose and the meaning of my existence in the big scheme of life and universe, I'm just applying the only faculty required to be a philosopher! Neat!


After reading the book, I started noticed small and big things around me, there are many philosophers around me, but maybe they just don't know they are.


On Saturday, I bumped into this modern Dialog, that would have made Socrates proud:


bee happy


It made me think on the attitude we take on life and wonder at the amount of miserable pricks around.

No comments:

Post a Comment