Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Blue and pink

I started knitting again. Given it was about 10 years since the last time I used knitting needles, it meant I was basically back to square one.
And with knitting, this can mean one and one only thing: scarf. No, wait: scarves.
Back and forth, forth and back, knit and purl, purl and knit.


Even after so many years, knitting still has a quite soothing and calming effect on me. Sometimes I still do loose my patience and temper is still the same bad old one, but knitting makes me more forgiving towards idiots.:-D


And knitting fits perfectly with the commuting: in the past few weeks, I've been knitting in the morning, on the way to work, while Enric reads about the relativity theory, Marina study about the art of bullshitting (i.e. management) and David sleeps (most of the time anyway).


When I agreed with Enric he was going to get the first scarf, he also asked for it to be half pink. Not stripes. Half and half. So I knit half scarf in baby blue, then I went to get some pink.
Then knit here, there and everywhere, yesterday evening I casted it off and washed it. Tonight I ironed it and voilà!


enric's scarf


It's a good thing it's ready now, as it seems that winter has decided it's time to stay over the country for a long while and let us have more and more days of freezing cold weather.



If he had some doubts about how pink was the pink yarn I picked, he didn't show. He could as... well... it's quite pink! Baby pink!



baby blue and baby pink


I think it's a nice colour, but let's face it, how likely is it for a guy to get jokes about wearing pink? 
Some might just be that, silly jokes between friends. However chances are that, given the high average of idiots on the planet, the jokes are just yet another display of ignorance and homophobia. You'd think that in the 21st century we'd be way beyond this stupidity, but you just need to read the last atrocious statements by the Italian prime minister to suspect that we haven't evolved that much. 
But I decided not to get upset about it, too much anyway. Other than being ashamed of being represented by such a dement and vote the opposition, what can I do?
I can only be happy that not everybody "thinks" it like that.
I can keep calm and knit on. And I still got about 1 skein of pink wool, if somebody's interested in a scarf...

1 comment:

  1. keep knitting and try not to think about the dement! :-(

    ReplyDelete