Thursday, 11 November 2010

Lest not forget...

ci vuole tanto troppo coraggio


... but how about learning the damn lesson, once and for all?


Today's Remembrance Day, the day of the poppies. For those of you who can't be bothered to click on the link, Remembrance Day  is a memorial day to remember soldiers and civilians killed in time of war and it's celebrated on this day because it's the day of the armistice of World War I.


So, in the best of the hypocritical tradition our society can offer, a lot of people are wearing the poppy you can buy for charity.
I think TV is full of documentaries and movies about WWI and newspaper have articles about it.
This morning I noticed some people retweeting the reminder of the 2 minutes silence, taking place at 11.

I received a mail in the office, stating that the company was going to observe the 2 minutes silence at 11 am... to allow us to take a few moments to remember bla bla bla.
At that point my mind was already off and faraway from the topic.


First of all, because WWI formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month", so if you want to remember, at least do it properly!
Secondly, ok, let's all shut up for 2 minutes, then what? 
We go back to typing our email, meetings, powerpoint presentation and any other bullshitting that form our daily agenda.


Lest not forget...
Really? Maybe we haven't forgotten, problem is we just don't care.
2 minutes silence... how many mines will have blown in Afghanistan in that 120 seconds? Or in Cambodia? How many collateral damages in Iraq? How many people imprisoned in Burma? Do we know? Do we want to know? Do we really care?


We should know and we should care, but most of the time we don't.
So I did what everybody else did. I shut up (during the 2 wrong minutes, let me state that once more).
But instead of hanging my head down, faking a deep concentration on heavy thoughts, I kept staring at my 2 monitors.
On one of them there is a picture my sis took of me and my nephew Davide. I love it, because it's a sweet pictures, full of love and promises for the future.


On the other screen I had this web page open: it's the 2009 Conflict Barometer, made by the HIIK. A nice reminder of what life around me is about.


If you want to spare other 2 minutes during your day (not necessarily today), you might also be interested in this page, or keep going and check the latest new on PeaceReporter.


1 comment:

  1. Ricordo i tre fratelli di mia madre, che erano sulla stessa nave al "Pearl Harbor."

    ReplyDelete