Thursday, 4 August 2011

the importance of resigning

Yesterday evening I watched "My resignation",  a BBC4 documentary following public figures and simple citizens that, for one reason or another, decided to resign. 
Maybe, as people resign more often here in the UK, it's seen as "normal" that a public figure should resign after he or she has been found out to have behaved immorally or being an hypocrite. 
But for me, as Italian, resignation is almost an alien concept: I am used to politicians and civil servants keeping on holding at their offices and desk no matter what they have done and no matter how their wrongdoings have been exposed.
No matter they have been convicted or facing a trial, they just won't quit.
Denial is the word: it's not me that has caused this situation, it's the previous government, or the markets, or the bankers, or the Italian people that caused the problem, so why should I take responsibility for it? 
So even if "My resignation" wasn't exactly the best documentary BBC4 ever to be broad-casted, it still stuck to my mind because of two sentences, one at the beginning and one at the end of the program.

"
Resigning  is about honour and dishonour. Matters of principle and taste and decency. Being caught out and taking responsibility."

"
Resigning is painful, it's personal and it's very important."
Judging by Italian newspapers' headlines this morning, resigning is still a very unimportant business in my country.






No comments:

Post a Comment