Saturday, 13 August 2011

Proms and Ennio

Ah, it's that time of the year again... Proms! Proms are one of my favourite event in London, well no, in the whole universe. I like the feeling, the mood you can breath at Royal Albert Hall, whether you sit up in the God as we did yesterday or you're a prommer.

You're just there to enjoy the music and it's a condition common to everybody there, no matter your path of life, social and economic status.

A former colleague of mine, Tracy, went back to the US and I bought a couple of tickets from her for the Proms. After some minor issue (I wished that people were more clear to me when agreeing on doing something together, but I think it's something in London air: you agree on a certain event, but not truly committing to it... bah, humbug! I don't want to know and I don't care), at the last minute I asked May.
She agreed and off we went to Royal Albert Hall.



The program for the Proms number 39 was interesting and fascinating: I wanted to go to this Prom since the release of the schedule.
Spaghetti Western Orchestra was going to play.

I never heard of them before, but I know my little bit about spaghetti western, having been raised by a father who knew Sergio Leone's movies line by line and having always had a small bit of my heart dedicated to these movies.

Plain and simple, I had to go. And my, what a concert it has been!
It was so good, so amazing, so just above everything I could ever imagine!
I'm not sure Ennio Morricone knows about them, but wow! I'm sure he'd feel honoured: is there any other composer that has his own dedicated tribute band or orchestra?
I doubt it.

The Spaghetti Western Orchestra is from Australia: five musicians that recreate the soundtrack of Italian western with traditional instrument and some less conventional instruments such as rubber gloves, cornflake, tree branches, scotch tape and asthma inhalers

The concert flew away so quickly: it was funny, I laughed a lot, I enjoyed the music and the way they deliver it and when it finished I was slightly sad. But the kind of good sad, the melancholy you get when you have enjoyed yourself so much that you don't want the feeling to stop.

"What? Is it over yet? Can't you play just a little bit more, I don't know, another 2 hours maybe?"
Before bringing the concert to an end, they had a second go at "The good, the bad and the ugly": the prommers were the good, people in the circle the bad and well, people in the boxes had to be the ugly (hey, somebody got to do it). It was exhilarating.

I got back home with a big smile plastered on my face, nice memories and good music playing over and over in my mind.
And the resolution I will see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment