Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Somebody to watch over me


Rioting has become the most popular subject of everyday conversation, almost to the point of substituting the weather as the favourite subject amongst the people leaving on the British Isles
It's still on the front pages of the main newspaper and there are a lot of TV shows and debates ongoing: lots of talking on the how come this happened, what are the causes, what we should learn from it and how should we handle similar situation in the future.

As Italians say, a lot of breath have been wasted to talk about the role of social networks in the riots.
People, some MPs and part of the govern in particular, missed a good chance to shut up, suggesting to shut the social networks done when riots break loose.

Today I read yet another article dealing with looters, quite an interesting one, by Cory Doctorow.
Yes, related to the riots, but the topic is something I'm fairly sensible to: how effective the CCTVs truly are.
Every time I get into a big station, such as Waterloo, I got speechless each time I raise my eyes and take a look at the ocean of surveillance cameras: some times it looks as if there are more cameras than people travelling.

Do they really work? Do they deter people from committing crimes? Judging by last week events they don't.
There are statistics supporting their uselessness as preventive tool that dates back way before this summer events. 
They might be used in the course of the investigation after a crime has been committed, that's true, but I've never been able to share the idea brought forward by many politicians and members of the public force that the CCTVs help a community feeling safe.

CCTV never made me feel safe. On the contrary they make me feel "in danger", because I know that no matter how many of them are placed they are a reminder of how economics and political power are not working for social community.

Oh look! A CCTV! So, if somebody decides to rob me or stab me right here right now, later on we can have a look at the filming... What a relief! 

1 comment:

  1. Qui negli Stati Uniti, abbiamo le stesse cose nei luoghi pubblici. Probabilmente non impedicono il crimine, ma possono essere usati come prova dopo il fatto.

    ReplyDelete