Wednesday, 26 October 2011

achoo!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of a ticket for a Wilco's gig, must be in want of a nasty cold. However little known the feelings or views of such a fan may be on her first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding germs and viruses, that she is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their diseases."

It started on Monday evening, the first signs something was about to happen.
When the alarm clock went off on Tuesday morning, it was not only its nasty sound that greeted me. There was something else, at the back of my throat.
A very persistent soreness.

Great, I thought. 3 days to my long weekend in London and I'm getting sick.
Never mind! As more than one GP told me, "just take some paracetamol and it'll be ok".
So I took the paracetamol and went to work. Obviously it wasn't ok. 4 paracetamol caplets later and I was still feeling bad, if not worse. My throat was on fire, the head was threatening me with secession and I was about to wonder through the office screaming: "Some Lemsip! My queendom for some Lemsip!"
Luckily I didn't, because: 1.) I got no queendom, 2.) my colleagues might think I'm slightly crazy and 3.) Lemsip has no effect on me other than making me feel sicker than what I truly am.


Why, oh why?, does getting sick happen so close to important days, such as holidays? I was wondering about it, while fixing myself yet another mug of licorice tea, yet I was dumb enough to go through the whole working day, just to come back home feeling slightly feverish and voiceless.
Annoyingly enough, just few days ago I was chatting with a colleague of mine and told him that so far this autumn has been quite nice and healthy. Were you listening to me back then, oh ever so weak tonsills of mine??? Why couldn't you keep still and not enflamed for another week or so? What am I going to do with you???

That's what today's been about so far:

I took one day off work and by doing this I avoided the cold to develop into a flu or tonsillitis. 

And I kept my mouth shut for the whole day. I bet many people would have love to see and (not) hear that, but alas you got to trust me that it did happen. 
I was silent the whole day and, by doing so, I hope I might be able to speak over the weekend and sing at the gig, obviously hoping I won't be told off again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, pauvre Virgi! Je suis desolee' d'entendre de ta maladie! (Sorry for French---forgot how to say "illness" in italiano!)

    Ma spero che sarai migliore presto!

    ReplyDelete