Friday, 16 December 2011

Portrait of a bookseller as a old man

Be not inhospitable to strangers 
Lest they be angels in disguise.


forging of a rebel


I never met him, but I know he was more than just that. More than an old man, more than a bookseller, I mean.
He made his bookstore a reflection of who he was, for better and for worse, a mirror of his ideas and ideals.
He created a place that, no matter its turning more and more into a spot on a tourist map, was unique, where literature matters and is more tangible than anything else.

When I said to my flatmate that I'm not on Facebook, he replied with a mixture of horror, contempt and disbelief: "So you don't exist!"

Boy, was he wrong!
I do exist, but I want more than that too. I do my best to live, live a good life, to feel alive. As alive as I felt, in a summer Paris afternoon, sitting on a bench outside "Shakespear & Co." on the Seine left bank.

la commedia degli errori

I never met you, but I shall miss you.
So long, George.

2 comments:

  1. If my memory serves me right, that very bookstore was featured in Woody Allen's latest movie (Midnight in Paris).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and it was in "Before Sunset" too.

    ReplyDelete