Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Weather bug

Britain doesn't have a climate, just a weather, so it's more than reasonable for it to be one of the main topic of conversation.
It doesn't simply provide a common topic that can save you on the awkward lift journey with your boss on a post-Christmas-party-painfully-hangovered morning.
It's more than that for many, and many people I know are seriously fascinated by it and the finest expression human kind has to represent it: weather forecast.
During my first days in England I learnt a lot about the pain of weather and joy of its forecast on the Isles.
For example, BBC is quite pessimistic compared to other, but updated more frequently.
I learnt a lot about the Indian Summer too, a weird meteorological phenomenon where urban legend meets climate.

It's quite easy to joke about weather with Brits, or make fun of their obsession with it.
But, let's be honest. Brits are not the only ones.
In the Netherlands, weather is one of the main topic of conversation as well.

I guess there are just differences in how the obsession is displayed.
Take my mum for example. She is really into weather forecast, but I doubt she would be able to talk about it with a British, because what she's interested in is slightly different.
She checks the weather forecast on the teletext every day, and she will tell you which TV channels forecast are to be trusted or not. But if you ask her about what it said, don't expect anything on the line of "cloudy with chance of rain". She will get a very serious look and tell you something like, "Well, the 0° isotherm is at 1900 mt, you better dress properly".
If you ask her whether the forecast calls for rain or sunshine, the look on her face will be completely blank and will simply tell you off: "What? You got eyes, haven't you? Put your nose out of the window and look at it for yourself!"

I'm so used to it, that it's something that makes me feel home.
And it makes me feel home when I'm faraway, as it's something she takes care to keep me updated of no matter where I am.
And no matter where I go, I always take it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment