Sunday, 29 January 2012

they're purple!

The problem with having an app for this, that (especially "that", according to the ads on TV at least) and everything is that every time somebody asks me "Whatcha doin'?", I have to laugh as my brain process the question in the voice of Spongebob Squarepants.

Yep, there's an app for Spongebob Squarepants: my nephew loves it. You can punch Spongebob in the eyes, shake him, pull him almost apart and he won't complain. He might tell you "Helloooo" if you don't pay attention to him for a while or he will ask you his favourite question: "whatcha doin'?"
So, when yesterday Andrei the flatmate asked me "Whatcha doing?", I did my best (and even more than that!) to avoid laughing in his face.

"Well, I'm…"
Don't laugh Virgi, do not laugh, he is not a sponge working in a burger bar below the sea, he's your flatmate: do. not. laugh.

"What's THAT?!?!?!", here comes Andrei's second question.
"Oh, well, these are carrots, yeah, carrots. I'm chopping carrots. For dinner. Carrots for dinner."That sounded quite lame Virgi, but hey, the question was lame too!

"Yeah, but they're black!!!"
"No, they're not. They're purple."
"Come on! They're black", he sounded more and more outraged, maybe offended by my colour-blindeness.
"No, these are purple carrots, want to try a bite?"
"No!"

He didn't stay long in the kitchen and kept being slightly disgusted by the purple carrots, turning down the second offer to taste a little bit off one.
Well, more for me, that's easy.
But I can't understand this discrimination against purple carrots: they're quite good, slightly less sweet than orange carrots. They're rich in antioxidants and they are soon to be labelled as "superfood" by one of those fancy shiny magazine you can pick up to read in the cafes around town.

And they come package with a lot of history! There's a whole website devoted to the different types of carrots and their history.
The part about carrots in World War II is very fascinating, to me at least.
It has so many information, that I think it will take me a while to read through it all: I think it woke my obsessive compulsive side up.

Maybe, by the end of reading it all, I might even come up to another way to eat the purple carrots I got left in the fridge.
The roasted ones were really good and very purple!

purple carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment