Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Dantes inception

The other night I was thinking about "Inception", the movie by Christopher Nolan with Michael Caine and Leonardo Di Caprio.
This movie holds 2 unshakable truths to me.
The first one is one of the line of the movie: "An idea is like a virus. Resilient. Highly contagious. And even the smallest seed of an idea can grow. It can grow to define or destroy you."

The second one is that Christopher Nolan should seriously reconsider the length of his feature films. I loved "Memento" and kept up with "The Prestige", but the whole Batman thing was too much for me to process while keeping awake at the same time. 

Anyway, before loosing track of what I meant to say, the quote about idea being viruses is true. When a notion gets implanted in my brain, it just sticks to its cells: a dangerous situation given my slight inclination towards obsessive-compulsive behaviours. The only idea or suggestion I proved quite resistant to is "Isn't it about time for you to iron all that stuff on your chairs?"
My brain quickly process an answer that sounds more or less like a "Yes, maybe, perhaps, nah, I'll do it tomorrow", before dismissing the whole idea and going back to what I was doing before.

So last Saturday afternoon, sitting at the Triennale with some other girls, we were complaining about how impolite and rude waiters are there: I mean, man, slow down! You're a waiter not a model, so don't look offend if I don't compliment you on how cool you look today but I ask you for the menu instead.
Not sure how it happened but the topic of conversation switched from the George-Clooney-wannabe to childhood readings.

We all agree on one point: our parents were out of their mind! Can you give a 10 year old kid such dangerous material like Dickens or Alcott?!?! You allow me to read and dissolve into a pool of tears for orphans reduced to slavery by cruel masters, kids dying of poverty, hunger, scarlet fever... And then you didn't want me to watch Japanese robot anime, because they were too violent?!?!

Then we moved to some other books we read at that time, the adventure novels: Verne, Salgari, Dumas.
Here again. Muuuuum! I could read freely about Michael Strogoff's being blinded with a hot blade and yet war movie could impress me and give me nightmare!?!
It's your lucky day, I'm feeling kind enough to not call the child social service, dad!

Thinking about Dumas, I immediately thought about my favorite book by the French, "The count of Montecristo".
I have strong feeling about that novel and even stronger feelings when it comes to that pages being translated into a film. I am sure it was not a simple coincidence the fact that on Sunday, while battling and losing against a nasty cold, when I turned on the TV to search for a movie to watch I ended up looking at a beardy Jim Caviezel: we meet again, Monsieur Dantes.
So I sat, knowing I was not going to like it and at a certain point I got terribly upset and start arguing with Caviezel on the screen (I blame it on the anacin).
"You see, you're doing it all wrong! This is not what you're supposed to say!"
"Nooooo! That's not what you should do! Jeez, no, no and no again! You don't believe me? Wait and I'll show you"

I got up and spent 20 minutes looking through the books for my copy of the novel, only to realize that:
1. The book is still at my parent's place.
2. Ringing them to ask if they could send me the book via courier sounded mental to me as well.
3. I was talking to a bloody TV set! (still blaming it on the drugs in my blood)

So I sat, grumpy as ever, on the sofa, mumbling about projects of grandiose vendetta against Hollywood screenwriters while looking for an e-book on the laptop.
I kept wondering whether there's ever been a movie or tv-series that didn't put Dumas into a industrial spin. The idea was planted in my brain and it kept growing for the whole week, so that now I got a quite extensive culture on TV series based on Montecristo around the globe.
This summer I watched again the musical parody by Quartetto Cetra, with Walter Chiari as Faria.
I remember watching another TV-series inspired by Montecristo and set in Italy, in Naples and some years ago there was a French version as well.
Revenge is turning into Dallas, but inspiration is clear.

But it wasn't enough so I digged more on YouTube, read reviews, discovered musicals and cartoon and, after seeing some kind of soap opera, I might even have learned  to hold less of a grudge towards Hollywood screenwriters.

No comments:

Post a Comment