Thursday, 25 December 2014

Back home for Christmas

I got in Torino some days ago.

I wasn’t feeling that much in the mood for Christmas, I had tons of things to do: clear up my work tasks before disappearing for my holiday break was the priority, alongside all the tasks of setting up my flat in Torino.

In the past week I set up the utilities, moved in, tested the dishwasher, enjoyed the notion the heater works ok, moved stuff in the kitchen, fell asleep on my new armchair (twice! I’ll have to force myself not to sit there after 9 in the evening) and bought a Christmas star to make the flat a bit more Christmas.

It’s the first time in 7+ years I actually make some small, yet conscious effort at decorating my flat for Christmas. When I was abroad, it made no sense, as I knew I would be spending my Christmas break in Torino anyway: what’s the point?
In Milan, it was actually the same thing: in the past 2 years I did not bother at all.


This is the last flat I set up the Christmas tree: it feels like a lifetime ago and in many way it is.
So, after one night here, it felt a bit empty and not only because I had not time to move the books into the shelves yet.
It just looked it needed something to make it warmer. I didn’t want to get anything too big and this poinsettia is small enough yet the eyes are drawn to it. It might even outlive the Christmas break, who knows? maybe my plant-terminator ability won’t work its magical destructive power on it.

This is the flat where, a Christmas Eve many years ago, I went to bed slightly tipsy, setting up an alarm so to make sure to be at my parents’ in time for the Christmas lunch.
And I set up the alarm clock yesterday for the same purpose.

I woke up kind of early so to have a lazy start of the day. Then I doubled check I got everything in the handbag, put the gloves and hat on and smiled at the Christmas star before heading out.
I’m pretty sure she smiled back at me.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a fantastic Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you had a nice start of the year too.... And I hope I can finally make it to the chilly fest this summer!

    ReplyDelete