Sunday, 9 August 2015

the life of others, 10 years on

Wind has picked up, some drops of rain has started falling from the sky and I heard a thunder in the distance: maybe a storm is brewing and it'll allow me some sleep tonight.
Finally.

I finished my gin & tonic, ate the lemon slice and finished packing my suitcase. The taxi is booked, nothing left for me to do but set an alarm clock and head for the bed.
But on TV, oddly enough, there's a good movie, "The life of others": I got the DVD stacked somewhere, I bought it shortly after watching it, back in the UK.

It's nice yet weird: it's the first time I see it in Italian. and it feels a bit alien to watch it dubbed: the voices don't match the actors.
The first time I watched this movie I was sitting on a wooden floor, feeling tired yet unable to stop watching. The movie was just too powerful to stop watching.

Today, 10 years on, many things have changed but not the power of this movie, even with those weird dubbed voices. A true sonata for a good man.

On a certain day in the blue-moon month of September
Beneath a young plum tree, quietly
I held her there, my quiet, pale beloved
In my arms just like a graceful dream.
And over us in the beautiful summer sky
There was a cloud on which my gaze rested
It was very white and so immensely high
And when I looked up, it had disappeared.
(Bertolt Brecht)

No comments:

Post a Comment